Cooking in the kitchen, a good set of pots is a very important tool, whether it is a frying pan, frying pan, wok, stainless steel pan, saucepan, and so on. When you’re about to move into your new home, you may need to buy new kitchen cookware set to start your new good life. There are so many options on the market, and sometimes it can be difficult to choose because they come in so many different types: there are stainless steel pans, ceramic pans, non-stick pans, cast iron pans, and so on.
How to choose your professional cookware?
Indispensable for all areas of catering, cookware should be chosen carefully. It must adapt to the way you cook. Be of sufficient quality to last many years by your side, and be versatile.
Indeed, you can find different types of coating like copper, stainless steel, or sometimes stone. The coating of your cookware must be adapted to the use you will have of it. Copper is the most effective. It has already proven all its benefits. The only downside is its higher price. Stainless steel, has non-stick properties which make it very practical for daily use. It is also very easy to clean and saves time when washing. Ceramic is very popular for several years for its many qualities. Non-hazardous to health (without PFOA or PTFE), ecological (less polluting in manufacturing and reducing CO2 emissions), solid, and non-scratch. Cast iron has very good thermal properties. It diffuses heat perfectly but is sensitive to oxidation and is not dishwasher safe.
Quantity and storage
Some brands offer cookware with removable handles. This trick saves considerable space in cupboards and washing machines. Especially if you opt for a battery offering several elements (wok, pots, pans, etc.) with a single interchangeable handle. Today, most professional cookware is optimized to make your daily life easier.
To save money and save time, we advise you to choose a complete pack with all the equipment you need, one or more suitable lids, and one or more handles. If no pair perfectly matches your needs, then you can choose your elements one by one. The cost may be higher but each of the elements will correspond to your needs.
Whether for an installation, a renewal of equipment, or an adaptation to induction, your choice of cookware should be made with care. These are utensils that are used many times at each service. They must be efficient and practical.
To help you easily choose the most suitable cookware set for you, we have selected the best American cookware sets in various categories for your reference:
Recommended cookware set
1. Best Stainless Cookware Set: All-Clad D3 Stainless Cookware Set
2. Best Multipurpose Cookware Set: Duxtop Stainless Steel Cookware Set
3. Best Cast Iron Pot Set: Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron 5 Piece Set
4. Best Nonstick Cookware Set: T-fal Hard-Anodized Nonstick Cookware Set
5. Best Ceramic Cookware Set: GreenPan Lima Ceramic Non-Stick Cookware Set
6. Amazon’s acclaimed cookware set: AmazonBasics Non-Stick Kitchen Cookware Set
7. Best-rated stainless steel cookware set: Cuisinart Stainless Steel Cookware Set
8. Best Copper Pot Set: Calphalon Tri-Ply Copper 10-Piece Set
- A polished cooking surface will not discolor, react with food, or change the taste
- Features a cool grip, strong thermal conductivity for even heat
- Oven safe up to 550F
- Dishwasher safe
This stainless steel kitchen pot set is very beautiful and of good quality very durable and excellent in cooking performance. It has good thermal diffusivity and an ergonomic riveted handle. All parts are dishwasher-safe and oven safe up to 500 degrees. All-Clad started making professional drinkware about 30 years ago. Made with the highest quality materials, All-Clad executes all cooking techniques flawlessly, continuing a long tradition of excellence. It heats up or cools down quickly for precise temperature control. Heat wrap technology is perfect for evenly distributing heat along the bottom and sidewalls of the cookware.
- 17 pieces including 3 kitchen tools
- Constructed from commercial-grade stainless steel with a thick, impact-resistant aluminum package bottom for long life
- Dishwasher safe, oven safe to 550 degrees Fahrenheit
This Duxtop stainless steel pot set is otherworldly, with its beautiful appearance blended with style and function. This set features a staggering 17 pieces, including three kitchen tools. Extremely durable, each part has ergonomically shaped handles for strength and durability. The lids of all cookware in this set are tempered glass. This professional-grade cooker works on all stovetops, including induction cooktops, and is safe inside the oven (up to 550 degrees). They are also safe to store in the freezer. And everything is dishwasher safe, so cleaning is super easy. It can be said that this is the best choice for choosing a stainless steel pot set.
- Cast iron 5-piece set, cost-effective
- Unmatched heat retention and uniform heating
- Protective layer with 100% natural plants
- Can be used for roasting, frying, stewing, frying, frying, boiling, etc.
- Can be used in the oven, stove, grill, or campfire
- Great for induction cooktops
This cast-iron cooking set is a great deal, much cheaper than buying one of these separately, and it’s best to boil a cast-iron pan before using it. Made in the United States and well-received by many users. The lodge is a very famous brand of cast iron pots in the United States.
- Hot Spot Indicator: The ring around the spot turns red to show when the pan is fully preheated and ready to add ingredients
- Rivet Handle and Vented Cover: Rivet silicone handle designed for comfort and security; ventilated tempered glass cover maintains visibility
- Use and Care: Works on all stovetops (except induction); oven safe to 400°F (up to 350°F with lid)
- Dishwasher safe; PFOA-free, lead-free, and cadmium free
For over 60 years, T-fal has made life easier in busy home kitchens by providing compact, high-performance, and user-friendly cookware that cooks quickly every time. Today, as the industry leader in non-stick cookware, T-fal is constantly striving to develop innovative product solutions that make it easier to cook and enjoy life in the kitchen, such as the T-fal Thermo-Spot – a unique heat indicator technology, Shows when the pan is fully preheated and ready to cook.
- GreenPan’s Thermolon Healthy Ceramic Nonstick Coatings are free of PFAS, PFOA, lead, and cadmium, so they won’t release toxic fumes even if accidentally overheated
- The hard outer layer is scratch-resistant for everyday needs
- Oven-safe up to 600°F ( durable glass lid oven-safe up to 425°F)
- Compatible with all cooktops except induction cooktops
- Hand wash only, not dishwasher
- Disadvantages: When using it to scramble eggs, I found that its non-stick performance is very poor, and it is easy to stick to the pan.
This ceramic pot cooking set is very nice looking, it has a blue-gray interior with a dark exterior and comfortable handles. The long handle has a hole for hanging for easy hanging. This GreenPan Lima Ceramic Nonstick Twelve-Piece Cookware Set is affordable, looks great, doesn’t release harmful fumes even when overheated, and makes the pans safe to use even if the nonstick coating deteriorates. Its downsides: it’s very non-stick, and if you want to use it for scrambled eggs or want a non-stick pan, then it’s not for you.
- Non-stick coating for easy cooking and cleaning
- The comfortable handle keeps it cool during use
- Suitable for gas and electric cooktops
- Hand wash only, not dishwasher
This AmazonBasics 15-Piece Nonstick Cookware Set helps you quickly develop a healthy home-cooking habit. The collection contains everyday essentials including frying pans, saucepans, and casseroles. This cookware set has a non-stick coating for low-fat cooking without the need for extra butter or oil. What’s more, the non-stick coating helps prevent cooked food from sticking to the pan and can be effortlessly transferred to a plate or dinner plate for tasting. With handles that stay cool during use, while still having a firm, comfortable grip, this cookware set is a huge hit on Amazon, with great reviews, and a great price.
- Made of three-layer stainless steel, it can be heated evenly and has a strong thermal conductivity
- The cooker is compatible with all stoves, including induction cooktops
- Oven Safe to 500 F
- Cookware is dishwasher safe
Featuring a classic cute look, this cookware set is made from high-grade three-ply stainless steel. By using three layers of stainless steel, it ensures even cooking every time. It doesn’t change the taste of your food or react to any ingredients in any way, so you can cook with confidence. This set is sturdy and durable enough to keep you going for years. All pots and pans are made with HeatSurround technology, ensuring that food is heated evenly every time you cook it.
Plus, it’s oven-safe up to 500 degrees. Its handle is cool to the touch and ergonomic for a safe hold. The cookware set has a tempered glass lid to ensure moisture and nutrients are sealed. Everything you see in the set is fully dishwasher safe, making cleanup a breeze.
- The copper outer layer, stainless steel surface, and aluminum inner core combine for excellent electrical conductivity and precise cooking control
- Made of three metals: A thick aluminum core is sandwiched between a layer of stainless steel and copper to ensure it heats evenly
- Note: Not dishwasher safe, not used on an induction cooktop
This cooking set features a glossy copper exterior with a stainless steel interior and airtight lid and has an internal aluminum core for excellent thermal conductivity. The riveted handle is ergonomically designed and heat resistant. You can also use this cookware in the oven, but it won’t work with induction cooktops and shouldn’t be placed in the dishwasher. A word of caution: Copper cookware requires more maintenance than regular stainless steel pans.
American cookware Buying Guide
Cookware is part of the basics of any cook, whether you are a neophyte or a licensed chef. Yes: to cook, simmer, sauté, or brown, you need a minimum of equipment and utensils.
In addition, the least we can say is that today when it comes to cookware, there is a wide choice, both on the internet, in specialist shops, and even in supermarkets. That means that we can find something for everyone and also for every budget.
But faced with this wide choice, when you don’t know too much about it. You can also sometimes feel a little lost: between the different diameters, capacities, materials, and accessories. It would almost be hard to choose our pans and saucepans.
Fortunately, The Home Advise gives you some tips for choosing the right cookware!
The most common parts
When you don’t know too much about the kitchen and you go in search of the perfect cookware, there is a good chance that faced with a fairly exhaustive offer that you will find. You will also remain slightly wary.
To help us, here is a small summary of the elements that we will most often find in cookware:
- The saucepan allows you to cook solid foods (pasta, rice, etc.) and make liquid preparations.
- The frying pan is only used to cook solid foods.
- The skillet looks like a frying pan but has higher edges.
- The crepe maker is simply essential for crepes!
- The Dutch oven is a large cast-iron dish suitable for the oven or the pot. The large capacity of which allows you to make stews with many elements.
The interest in lids
If you are a top Chef at heart for cooking, you still have to check that it contains a minimum of accessories when buying cookware.
If you can do without the sauté pan, wok, and mini-ramekins, the lids are simply essential. It’s not just decoration. They make it possible to speed up the cooking of food. Also, it helps to keep the heat in the utensil and to limit the evaporation of steam and the drying out of food.
So we check that there is at least one lid that can go on the saucepan and the pan.
How many pieces?
When you go to the store (or even on the internet) to buy cookware, the least we can say is that the choice is wide. And to avoid buying cookware that doesn’t suit us (caught in the heat of the moment or the speech of an unscrupulous seller!). It’s important to ask yourself a simple question: depending on my level and my kitchen needs, how many pieces do I need?
Thus, it is estimated that people who do not cook a lot and who do not spend too much time in the kitchen every day can largely be satisfied with a 5-piece set, with 3 saucepans, a frying pan, a lid, and that’s it!
On the other hand, if you are a big fan of cooking, love to test new recipes, invite people over and make quite elaborate dishes, cookware that contains between 5 and 15 pieces will be more suitable.
It is important to be vigilant when choosing the material of the utensils of our cookware because often the longevity of our cookware depends on it. Thus, we will distinguish:
- Steel. Very resistant and durable, it is a perfect material for those who spend a long time in the kitchen.
- Aluminum. Light, easy to maintain, and inexpensive, aluminum is ideal for those who do not necessarily want to invest in expensive cookware but are looking for quality.
- The stainless steel. Stainless steel offers healthy cooking of food, and it is a material that offers good resistance over the long term.
- The cast iron. Enameled cast iron provides excellent heat distribution for casseroles. In addition, enameled cast iron dishes can go in the oven. Because this material is perfectly resistant to high temperatures.
- Teflon. The advantage of Teflon is that thanks to it you can cook food without fat, and without sticking.
- The enamel. The enamel saucepan is the typical saucepan of our grandmothers, very easy to clean.
Watch out for the fire!
Today, most of the utensils that make up cookware are suitable for all types of possible fires: gas, electric, induction, and in vitro ceramic. But be careful when purchasing. Some materials do not support high-temperature differences well. It is important to check that the pans you have selected can be placed on fire without risk.
Thus, pots and pans made of aluminum, copper, or ceramic are often incompatible with induction hobs. So watch out!
And the diameter?
Another fundamental parameter. Because the diameter of the utensils will define their capacity. Therefore the quantities of food that can be put in them. In general, the diameter of cookware utensils varies between 10 cm (for saucepans) and 40 cm (for frying pans and sauté pans).
Utensils with a diameter of no more than 20 cm are recommended for medium quantities of food.
Knowing that for an optimal distribution of heat, it is advisable to always choose a diameter a little larger than that of your cooking plates.
The capacity of cookware is often expressed in liters. This is a very important variable when buying because the capacity depends on the number of people in the household and the number of meals you want to prepare with the cookware.
Thus, people who cook little and who have a small household (2-3 people) can make do with a capacity of 1.5-2L. People who like to cook and entertain will opt for slightly larger utensils with a capacity between 2.5 and 3.5L. For large families, it is better to provide a 4L minimum.
Removable handle or not?
The removable handle is another accessory that often leaves us doubtful when we have to buy cookware. Even if having a removable handle (and therefore cookware made up of “sleeveless” utensils) is not mandatory, how practical! This allows us to easily stack pans, saucepans, and sauté pans, without cluttering up our cupboards. Because of the space saved, once you have tested the removable handle, you can’t do without it.
Moreover, it is often useful to buy a second one. It is more practical when you have a frying pan and a saucepan on the fire at the same time.
The interest in the non-stick coating
In recent years, non-stick coating has taken over when it comes to cookware. If it is far from being mandatory (stainless steel, ceramic and aluminum do the job very well too!), we especially appreciate the fact that it allows you to cook without having to add fat. Food cooks without ever sticking or sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Clearly, with the non-stick coating, you cook lighter and smarter.
If cooking is a pleasure for most people who spend time behind the stove, there is a chore that we often appreciate much less. The dishes that we (still) have to do after having taken the time to simmer a nice dish.
This is why it can be interesting, before buying our cookware, to check whether the elements that compose it are dishwasher safe or not.
As such, pans and saucepans without handles (which are used with a removable handle) are very practical, as they take up very little space in a dishwasher.
Read another article about 10 Eco-friendly tips for cleaning pots and pans
Common Questions People May Ask
Can I fry it in any pan?
While many home and professional kitchens have a fryer for frying, it’s not essential equipment – all you need is a frying pan, some cooking oil, and a slotted spoon. The best oils to use for frying are flavorless with high smoke points, for example, sunflower, peanut, and vegetable oil.
What is the healthiest cookware to use?
Ozeri Stone Earth Frying Pans
GreenPan Valencia Pro 11-Piece Cookware Set
GreenLife 14-piece non-stick cookware set
Calphalon Commercial Hard-Anodized 13 Pieces
WearEver Pure Living Cookware Set
Rachael Ray Hard-Anodized II 10 Piece Cookware Set
Do chefs use cast iron pans?
Cast Iron is a favorite for many chefs who like to train with weights! It’s heavy! Excellent durable surface with good heat distribution and they will, over time, become “seasoned”. Cast iron cookware will flavor many dishes!
Which material to choose for healthy cooking?
- Natural cast iron: healthy and without toxicity
- Stainless steel: the best.
- Aluminum: Light, practical.
- Ceramics: robust, natural, to choose from without varnish!
- Teflon and non-stick: distrust.
It was after a survey of 6,500 consumers by the Statista Institute that de Buyer was awarded by Capital magazine ” Best brands for the home 2020-2021″ in the Pots and pans category.