If you have finally decided to leave the broom in a corner and buy a vacuum cleaner (robot, cordless, sled), I tell you that it is not as easy as it seems. A vacuum cleaner is a very practical appliance that can help you a lot at home and an investment that is easy to make profitable, as long as you can choose the right vacuum cleaner.
However, it is as bad to choose a vacuum cleaner with a lot of power, but that we cannot comfortably climb the stairs of our duplex, as it is to choose a very light vacuum cleaner with which it takes hours to vacuum the dirt and dust from the living room carpet.
Why is it not easy to choose the vacuum cleaner you need?
Basically for two reasons:
A) You have your particular needs :
- Can you lift the weight?
- Do you have a big house or a small apartment?
- Do you have many rugs?
- Are you worried about the health of your little ones?
- Do you live with pets?
- Are you allergic?
- Does the noise bother you?
You will almost certainly have to prioritize. It is very difficult to find a vacuum cleaner that has everything important to you.
B) hundreds of models can confuse you
- What type of vacuum cleaner to choose (robot, broom, sled, cordless, with water filter, that vacuums and scrubs)?
- How much power do you need?
- What brushes and accessories should I have?
- What autonomy?
- What is the filter system?
You will find variants of the same model that may vary in some characteristics that are key to you. it is very easy to get confused. In addition, not all the necessary information is always found, or it is not easy to find it.
The solution is not to choose a best-selling vacuum cleaner, thinking that others already know what you don’t and that so many people are not going to be wrong.
Who is this item for?
- You have just verified that your old vacuum cleaner does not work and you want to see what options there are to renew it
- You haven’t known anything about vacuum cleaners for a long time and you want to catch up because you know you need one
- You have started looking but you realize that buying a vacuum cleaner is a mess. You don’t even know what kind of vacuum cleaner you need
- You are clear about what type of vacuum cleaner you prefer, but you do not know which is the best
The 10 mistakes when buying the vacuum cleaner
- You choose the wrong type of vacuum cleaner – each type of vacuum cleaner (robot, cordless, sled, etc.) has advantages and disadvantages. It may be that being guided by the fashion of the moment is not the best thing.
- The vacuum cleaner is not powerful – many vacuum cleaners only suck well on the first day. Not all are good for carpets or deep cleaning
- Not suitable for combating allergies to dust mites or pollen – the filter is a link in the chain, but it is not enough to combat allergens
- It is heavy or you find it unwieldy – when you try it you find that it is not easy to vacuum between the furniture, it is difficult for you to carry it up the stairs, or your wrist tires after a few minutes.
- It lacks autonomy – you have to interrupt the cleaning to charge the battery
- Inconvenient with your pet hair – the container fills up too soon, the hair gets tangled up in the brush and you have to remove it by hand.
- Doesn’t vacuum house floors and carpets well – slows down on carpets or doesn’t have brushes to suit different floors
- It is not good for vacuuming the type of dirt you plan to use it for – liquids or fireplace ashes cannot be vacuumed with any vacuum cleaner because it can create blockages and problems.
- It is too noisy for you – you avoid turning it on because it is a nuisance to family and neighbors. The schedule determines you.
- Cheap is expensive – You can’t find tech support or replacement parts, and you can’t fix it even if only one small part is broken.
If you continue reading, you will discover the main mistakes that are usually made when buying a vacuum cleaner for home use.
1. Choosing the wrong type of vacuum cleaner
Each type of vacuum cleaner has its pros and cons.
- A robot vacuum cleaner can be very comfortable, but it does not vacuum under certain furniture.
- A cordless vacuum cleaner is perfect, as long as it has enough battery and power.
- A powerful sled vacuum cleaner can leave carpets spotless, but don’t try to carry it upstairs or move it between furniture or narrow spaces.
Vacuum cleaner robot
You are looking for maximum time savings and freedom from a heavy and repetitive task.
They are the kings of vacuum cleaners. It is the only type of vacuum cleaner that takes care of the cleaning and allows you to save maximum time and effort.
Its price has dropped quite a bit in the medium and low ranges and has replaced corded vacuum cleaners in countless homes. People who use a robot vacuum cleaner for the first time often say that they can no longer live without it. Many end up giving it a name as if it were a pet.
Since iRobot (Roomba) popularized them, countless brands have appeared, some of them with very good robot vacuum cleaners. They are no longer exclusive vacuum cleaners for a privileged few.
Types of robot vacuums
Currently, there are several types of robot vacuum cleaners:
- That sweeps and vacuums or that also passes the mop and scrubs
- With the app, or simply with remote control.
- With more or less power
However, the clearest division is the one established by technology and robotics, such as the type of navigation and mapping.
It is dodging objects that come in its path without following an orderly pattern.
Draws a series of straight lines and systematic cleaning the entire plant.
They make a map of your entire house and you can order them to clean specific rooms.
Best robot vacuum brands
- Conga by Cecotec – a Spanish robot vacuum cleaner with advanced technology at a reasonable price.
- Roomba by iRobot – a pioneering American company that doesn’t need much of an introduction
- Roborock – hand in hand with Xiaomi, it is one of the leading technology brands in China.
- Ecovacs – is a world leader in highly advanced robot vacuum cleaners.
- Create Ikohs – Spanish and with good prices.
- Rowenta – every day is more focused on robots of which it has several ranges.
|⇒ You save time – programming it or pressing a button is all you have to do.|
⇒ Minimal effort – just press a button to clean and empty the tank.
⇒ They take up little space – they are easy to store or place in any room.
|⊗ They only clean the floor – they do not work on furniture or walls|
⊗ Price – They are not as cheap (proportionally) as other vacuums.
⊗ Prepare the rooms – they are not messy rooms with many obstacles.
Critical points of a robot vacuum cleaner
- Navigation system: it leaves rooms or areas without vacuuming and repeats others or does not leave a room
- Reason: you have bought a very basic robot vacuum cleaner for your home (random navigation technology or random type)
- App: Can’t connect to the home router and loses features
- Reason: The app needs an update, or is not compatible with your router.
Cordless vacuum cleaners
They have matched (and surpassed) sled vacuums in power. They have revolutionized the way of vacuuming.
Cordless vacuum cleaners have turned a tiresome and boring household chore into a game. They are fast, comfortable, and versatile. Once you try them you ask yourself: how could it not have occurred to me before to buy one? You can use them to “sweep up” breakfast crumbs or to do a deep cleaning of a carpet.
They have long since broken their boundaries. You no longer buy it because it is more comfortable than a corded vacuum cleaner, but because they have little to envy in terms of performance. The infinity of situations in which you can use them (car, bed, furniture) more than justifies the price paid for them.
Types of cordless vacuum cleaners
Cordless vacuum cleaners (broom or vertical) can be classified by many characteristics, although the most relevant are:
- The power – they can be simple crumb collectors or super-powerful vacuum cleaners that vacuum carpets more thoroughly than a sled vacuum cleaner
- The accessories and brushes – they all come with some corner and brush, but others are like a Swiss army knife, they are valid for everything: carpets, houses with pets, car upholstery…
- Flexible hose – allows you to vacuum under furniture without bending over
- Removable battery – you can use a second battery and double the usage times
- With rug sensor – detects rugs and automatically increases power
- With a dirt sensor (smart) – they detect where there is more dirt and vacuum that area more thoroughly.
A type of cordless vacuum cleaner that is becoming more and more popular is the one that also sucks up liquids and solids: it vacuums, scrubs, and leaves the floor almost dry, and much less wet than with the mop.
Best cordless vacuum cleaner brands
- Dyson – is a great promoter of this type of vacuum cleaner, and continues to be the reference.
- Cecotec Rockstar Conga – has a lot of power and very good drums
- Tinoco – advanced technology and great quality at a price that is not exorbitant
- Rowenta – design, and comfort
- Shark – only one that has a double central roller
The list would be almost endless, and European brands such as AEG, Bosch, Miele, Philips, and Taurus should not be missing. In Chinese vacuum cleaners, in addition to Tineco, Dreame, Roidmi, Xiaomi, Jimmy, Roborock or Proscenic are good options.
|⇒ Light and handy – they weigh little and are ergonomic.|
⇒ Versatile – they are suitable for vacuuming any surface at home or in the car.
⇒ They take up little space – they can be stored anywhere and are always ready.
|⊗ Battery dependent – not corded|
⊗ Suction power – some models are not suitable for deep vacuuming
⊗ Tank capacity – smaller than a conventional vacuum cleaner
Critical points of a cordless vacuum cleaner
- Battery: it turns off at the most inopportune moment and you don’t have time to finish cleaning
- Reason: low power in low consumption mode that forces you to increase speed to vacuum, consuming the battery very quickly
- Power: it is not up to the level of a corded vacuum cleaner
- Reason: it lacks a motor, or simply the filtering system causes it to lose suction power over time.
- Structure and design: the accessories do not fit easily and you end up not using them.
- Reason: it is cheap and poorly designed, even though it looks very nice in the photo.
Corded vacuum cleaners
You are looking for unlimited power, good performance, and a more affordable price
This is the type of vacuum cleaner that will be most familiar to you. Their price is proportionally lower, although every day they lose more ground to robots and cordless vacuum cleaners.
Some claim that these types of vacuum cleaners have “dead”, and brands like Dyson have stopped developing corded vacuum cleaners. Although they continue to manufacture and sell them, they no longer innovate.
Types of corded vacuum cleaners
Within the vacuum cleaners with sled cables there are 2 classes:
- More hygienic – you don’t come into contact with dust. They are the best option for allergy sufferers.
- Silent – filtering with the bag does not require as much power
- Easy to empty – just remove and put on a new bag
- You save refills – You don’t have to buy bags
- You see the dirt – accidentally vacuuming up valuables prevents them from ending up in the trash
- You know when to empty the tank – you can see the level of dirt
Best corded vacuum cleaner brands
|⇒ The power does not condition the time of use – you can vacuum thoroughly without looking at the clock|
⇒ You save buying a battery – they are not eternal, but you do not have to buy a new battery after 2-3 years
|⊗ Heavier and cumbersome – you can be lazy to take them out daily or carry them up the stairs.|
⊗ They take up more space – they tend to be bulkier and require space in a closet
Critical points of a corded vacuum cleaner
- It loses power: every day it sucks less
- Reason: bad filtering system that causes loss of suction
- It sticks to the ground: it is difficult to move it because the suction is very strong.
- Reason: It does not have a power regulator, or the one it does have is basic and impractical
- Structure and design: The wheels get stuck easily and it does not slide well on the ground.
- Reason: poor quality of components
Looking for a cheap vacuum cleaner?
A bagless sled vacuum cleaner is the best solution. They are powerful, have no problem with the battery, and are great value for money. In addition, you save on buying bags.
Corded vacuum cleaners
(Almost) with the advantages of cordless and sled vacuum cleaners
A corded vacuum cleaner can have a very similar format to a cordless vacuum cleaner. It is enough to change the battery for a cable that connects to the light and provides it with energy as if it were a sled vacuum cleaner. You can gain mobility, although you will always have the cable in between, which ends up being an inconvenience.
If they are of poor quality, they may have a suction loss and motor overheating problems. Shark stands out for its corded upright vacuum cleaners.
Handheld vacuum cleaner
They are the most compact and lightest. We simply have to direct them with our arms toward the places where we want to vacuum the dust. They usually have various types of accessories, including a narrow tube for corners or a small brush for furniture.
Most cordless vacuum cleaners can be used as handheld vacuum cleaners, being more powerful than a conventional handheld vacuum cleaner. It may be worth investing in a single 2-in-1 vacuum cleaner that does everything.
Handheld vacuum cleaners (domestic use) can be of several types:
- Standard – they are valid for the home or the car and can also suck up some liquid.
- Pet hair – used to remove hair from upholstery. They do it thanks to a motorized mini-brush.
- Anti-mites – They incorporate a UV lamp to eliminate mites.
2. Buy a less powerful vacuum cleaner
The power has to be adapted to the type of soil and dirt you want to vacuum
You want your new vacuum to blow away dirt in seconds. You are looking for the most powerful model. However, after a few days, you notice that the vacuum cleaner does not suck as it should.
- How is the power of a vacuum cleaner measured?
- Which vacuum cleaners are the most powerful?
One thing is the power of the motor, and another is the suction power, which is what indicates the ability to suck.
How is suction power measured?
The suction power of a vacuum cleaner is usually measured in different magnitudes (kilopascals, air watts), which in the end try to give an idea of what the vacuum cleaner is capable of sucking.
Air Watts – number of watts used to transport one unit of air from the nozzle to the reservoir.
Kilopascals – measures pressure per area (of 1 newton over a square meter)
However, the power that they always indicate has two important nuances:
- It’s as high as it can go – if it’s a robot or a cordless vacuum, the battery runs out very quickly, so it’s a one-off resource.
- This is a theoretical value – it is measured when the vacuum cleaner is clean. There is no dirt build-up in the reservoir, and (more importantly) the filters are clean.
What are suction losses?
As the filters get dirty, they block the flow of air, and the vacuum cleaner loses suction power.
What is considered a very powerful vacuum cleaner?
Most manufacturers indicate the suction power in the 2 magnitudes that you already know (aw or kPa). Take them as a reference, and especially to compare very similar vacuum cleaners, or even from the same brand.
- Robot vacuum cleaners – 2,000 pascals (=2 kPa) would already be very high power.
- Cordless vacuum cleaners – from 100 air watts, the power is very high. Dyson gets to exceed 220 aw. (In kilopascals, the most powerful have 20-25 kPa )
On corded vacuums, the input power (measured in watts) is usually a good reference point, although it depends on the efficiency of the vacuum.
The problem is that there is no standardized measurement system that takes into account performance in the medium term. The most that is achieved is to carry out some laboratory tests, which are the data that you will see on the label or in the description of the vacuum cleaner. Sometimes it is not even included.
There are very powerful vacuum cleaners that only suck well for the first few days, while others maintain performance in the long term.
It is important to see how the filtering system is (not only because of allergies), to get an idea of the performance of the vacuum cleaner.
3. A vacuum cleaner for allergy sufferers is not just one that has a HEPA filter
Pollen, dust mites, or pet dander can escape elsewhere, or are simply not vacuumed due to a lack of power
If there are people at home who are allergic to pet hair, dust, or pollen, the vacuum cleaner must be capable of filtering out these smaller particles. The HEPA or high-efficiency filter takes care of that.
Not really. First of all, do not confuse the HEPA filter with the complete filtering system of the vacuum cleaner.
Until a few years ago, all vacuum cleaners had a bag. She acted as a filter and container. The problem is that they had to be changed continuously, with an additional cost in bags.
And if you run out of bags, you couldn’t vacuum. The solution was cyclonic technology: the dirt is separated by a vortex that drops the dirt into a tank. However, not all cyclonic (or bagless) vacuums are equally efficient, so the output filter (HEPA or high-efficiency) can get dirty too quickly. You already know the consequence. Losses of suction appear, and that is going to cause the vacuum to lose a lot of power.
Where are the dust mites, your pet’s dander, or the pollen that makes life impossible for an allergy sufferer?
A HEPA filter is not expensive. The difficult part is designing an efficient cyclone technology.
The HEPA (or high-efficiency) filter is a must, but so are other vacuum cleaner features that are often overlooked:
- The sealed body prevents dust from escaping through the vacuum cleaner joints
- The hygienic emptying system does not make you come into contact with the dust every time it fills up and you have to empty it.
- Large capacity deposit. The bigger the better. This way you avoid having to constantly empty it.
What type of vacuum cleaner is the best for allergy sufferers?
There is some debate. Some people prefer a bagged vacuum cleaner. Avoid coming into contact with dirt because allergens are sealed inside. In addition to the bag, they usually have a very efficient HEPA outlet filter.
Another option is a powerful cordless vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter. The advantage of the latter is that you will be able to vacuum any piece of furniture or corner with ease, where there are dust mites and all kinds of allergens. And the best cordless vacuum cleaners are powerful enough to vacuum carpets and any type of floor.
A robot vacuum is limited to the floor, though you can program it to keep floors spotless with minimal effort. Most models have a high-efficiency filter, which does the same thing as a HEPA filter, without technically being one. Another option is steam vacuums. They not only vacuum but also sanitize with hot steam. They are bulkier and heavier since they have a boiler to heat the water. But this type of vacuum is not suitable and comfortable for everyone, nor all homes.
As always, it is important to know who will be using the vacuum. And that’s the next point where a lot of people fail.
4. The vacuum cleaner is not light and comfortable for you
It is key that the vacuum cleaner adapts to the person or people who are going to use it.
You should not focus exclusively on benefits. The vacuum cleaner must be comfortable for you.
- Why would an elderly person want a robot with the most advanced app if they don’t know how to use it?
- Have you thought that an upright vacuum cleaner can be too heavy for your mother?
- Why buy a corded vacuum if you never have the time (or desire) to take it out of the closet?
- If cleaning the filters is complicated, it is enough for you to be lazy to take them out and put them back.
A vacuum cleaner too heavy for a duplex
There are vacuum cleaners that are much heavier than others, and that is not recommended for going up and down stairs if you do not have enough strength.
How much does each type of vacuum weigh?
- Handheld vacuum cleaner – 600 grs -1 kg
- Cordless broom vacuum cleaner – 2-3 kg
- Robot vacuum cleaner – about 3 kg
- Large Corded Vacuum – 5-9kg
- A vacuum cleaner with steam cleaning -10 kg
If you have arthritis or any injury that prevents you from lifting weights, a robot vacuum is the best vacuum because it does it all by itself.
Cleaning the filters is complicated, and unhygienic, and you have to do it frequently
When the vacuum cleaner is well-designed, the filters are easy to clean, and there is no need to disassemble the tank. Also, they tend to be more efficient in the filtering stages: you don’t have to clean them every time you use them.
At the opposite extreme are those that force you to touch the dirt, which you practically have to wash after each use if you want the vacuum cleaner not to lose power every day. The worst thing is having to disassemble the tank and take out several parts that have to be washed and cleaned by hand. Not only do you waste time, but you end up breathing in the dust that was on the floor.
If cleaning or washing filters bothers you, you might be interested in investing a little more in the vacuum cleaner.
5. The battery lasts very little. You can’t complete all the rooms
The vacuum cleaner does not have the autonomy that was expected.
Being battery-powered isn’t exactly an advantage for many cordless and robot vacuums.
- Why does the battery last so short?
- Is the manufacturer cheating you with those 60 minutes it promised?
- What factors influence the autonomy of a cordless vacuum cleaner?
How to know if the vacuum cleaner has enough autonomy?
Maximum autonomy is never met with maximum power: they are opposites. When you maximize one, the other value is minimized.
It means that the 50 – 60 minutes indicated refer to when you use the vacuum cleaner at the minimum power, which is not always the most suitable for cleaning. From here the autonomy is descending, and perhaps very sharply.
There are cordless vacuum cleaners that only vacuum for a few minutes at maximum power.
Factors that influence the autonomy of the cordless vacuum cleaner
In addition to the power mode, other factors reduce the time of use:
- The accessory that you place to vacuum. A corner cabinet is not the same as a motorized brush, which consumes energy with its motor.
- Surface type. For example, on carpets, the friction is greater, and the vacuum cleaner is forced to consume an extra battery. It is just like a car going uphill, which consumes more fuel to travel the same distance than if it goes on the flat.
- Suction losses, force you to increase power when you see that the vacuum cleaner has little power.
*Except for the accessories, the same happens in a robot vacuum cleaner.
Obviously, in corded vacuum cleaners, you will not have a problem with autonomy, although you will have other drawbacks, such as vacuuming your pet’s hair, which can be more complicated due to the structure of the vacuum cleaner, and more difficult to maneuver.
How much time do you usually spend cleaning and vacuuming?
Some people prefer to do daily cleaning, while others when they start cleaning, like to do it thoroughly and without leaving a single room.
A corded sled vacuum may not be worth pulling out for a few minutes. Here you could use a cordless vacuum cleaner, which is always ready to vacuum, like a broom. Depending on the time you spend vacuuming, the battery can be a more or less important factor
6. The vacuum cleaner does not solve the problem of your pet’s hair
The long hair of some pets can be an obstacle to coexistence with your pet. No one likes to see hair on the floor, couches, or car seats.
Removing hair is a lot of work. It is a task that has no end. You haven’t finished vacuuming them up when they reappear.
What problems do hairs cause many vacuum cleaners?
- They don’t have enough power to vacuum them – on carpets and upholstery, they stick and make your efforts almost useless.
- They suck them up, but they get tangled up in the brush – if the hairs are long, they end up collapsing the brush and forcing you to stop, pull it out and clean it.
- They do not allow you to reach all the places and gaps where there are hairs – the hairs end up scattered everywhere, not only in the places where your pet rests or plays.
- Accessories or brushes for vacuuming are not practical – you can’t find which accessory to put on to easily remove hairs.
Which vacuum cleaners are the best for picking up pet hair?
The answer depends on the surfaces you want to clean. It is not the same if you only want to vacuum floors and carpets, as if you would like to get rid of the hair on the armchairs, inside the car, or on the bedspread. Due to their versatility, and the ease of using them in any area, cordless vacuum cleaners can be a good option.
For a vacuum to be effective at sucking up hair, it should meet a few requirements:
- That it has great power to be able to thoroughly vacuum carpets and upholstery, where the hairs get stuck. Also think about vacuuming cat litter, something that many vacuum cleaners are not capable of.
- Enough capacity. A very small deposit is good for those who have a cat or a dog that does not shed much hair. If you have several pets, you should look for a larger container, especially if it is a cordless vacuum cleaner (750 ml. is a good capacity). You avoid emptying it every moment.
- Suitable accessories. The floor head must be made of bristles that drag the hairs better. For upholstery, a mini motorized brush, to put in handheld vacuum mode and complete the task easily.
A mini motorized brush is essential if you want to vacuum armchairs, the sofa, or the car seats.
7. The vacuum cleaner does not suit your house
A vacuum cleaner is like a suit. It should be the right “size” for your own home.
If before it was about the vacuum cleaner adapting to your lifestyle, now the important thing is that it fits well in your home. A small studio where you live alone is not the same as a house with several floors where your children, a dog, and two cats live.
In addition to how big your house is, and how dirty it accumulates, there are other important factors to consider:
- Type of floors – Is it very delicate? Are there any rugs?
- No. of floors – Do you have to climb stairs?
- Size and furnishings in the rooms – is there room to maneuver widely?
Which vacuum cleaners are the best for very large homes?
A large house needs a vacuum cleaner with the highest performance, whether it is a robot, a cordless vacuum cleaner, or a sled vacuum cleaner.
If your house is large, you have to take into account:
- The vacuum cleaner will be working longer
- More dirt and dust will accumulate
In the end, a mid-range vacuum cleaner ends up being insufficient to thoroughly vacuum a large home. On the other hand, a high-end vacuum cleaner is more efficient in every way: it sucks better, cleans more easily, and better supports harder and longer tasks.
Critical points of each type of vacuum cleaner related to a very large house size
If you live in a more or less large house, any type of vacuum cleaner can be useful, although you must be careful with the following points:
Robot vacuum cleaner
- Navigation system – Does not draw intelligent routes and does not have time to finish all the rooms
- Map types – does not save the map and does not let you select the rooms you want to clean
- Battery – they have little autonomy and are not able to finish everything with a charge
Cordless vacuum cleaner
- Low power in normal mode – you have to increase the power to the maximum for it to vacuum (and the battery lasts very little)
- Little autonomy in turbo mode – you can only suck for a few minutes at maximum power
- Very small reservoir – needs to be emptied often
Corded vacuum cleaner
- Not comfortable for you – it’s hard to get around furniture and you get tired of vacuuming
- Heavy to climb stairs – you need someone to carry it upstairs because it weighs more than you thought.
- Short cord – you have to change the plug often.
How do the shape and space of the room influence it?
This is a factor to take into account, especially in a robot vacuum cleaner. If the rooms are very square, they usually give better results than if they are narrow and with many nooks and crannies. Think that the robot must traceroutes in an orderly manner. And this is much easier in large, uncluttered rooms.
What vacuum cleaners are the best for a duplex or a house with several floors?
If you have to go up and down stairs, you have already seen that a heavy corded vacuum cleaner is not the most comfortable. In the case of robot vacuum cleaners, those that can save a map of each floor are usually a better option. Above all, if the house is large, you will be able to better organize the cleaning, and the robot will do it faster.
Cordless vacuum cleaners, due to their ease of use, have an advantage both when going up and when vacuuming the stairs.
How does the furniture influence when vacuuming?
Think of a room full of obstacles and furniture, with cables on the floor, a decorative vase, a cabinet, as well as several chairs. Can you imagine the work that would be involved in vacuuming it for a robot vacuum cleaner?
With a corded vacuum cleaner, it would not be an easy task either. Going through so many obstacles could be exhausting. There is no doubt that the success of cordless vacuum cleaners is their ability to adapt to any type of cleaning. That is why it is said that they clean at 360º.
With the accessories, you can reach any corner, and they allow you to vacuum rooms full of objects and obstacles. Whether it’s the top of a piece of furniture, the frame of a picture, or the curtains, everything is possible with them. Even the tightest spaces left behind furniture.
Best vacuum cleaners for vacuuming and cleaning carpets
Carpets and rugs are the refuges of allergens. They hide the dust where dust mites live. Also, when they get stained, they end up giving off odors. Many vacuums for pets or allergy sufferers are a good option for cleaning carpets.
To keep them clean and shiny on the first day, you have several options:
- A powerful vacuum cleaner – brush, train, or robot.
- A vacuum cleaner – that in addition to vacuuming, uses water to clean (such as those used for houses with pets or allergy sufferers).
Powerful carpet vacuums
In addition to power, it must have:
- A good filtering system. Although not visible, carpets can accumulate a large amount of dust, capable of saturating the filters in a few minutes.
- A bristle brush, which beat the carpet to raise the dust so that it can be vacuumed
- A smooth glide – that the vacuum cleaner does not get stuck in the carpet and forces you to make an extra effort.
Vacuuming a carpet is a much more complicated task for a vacuum than sweeping a hard floor. You have already seen which are the best in terms of power, filtering capacity, and brushes. Special mention deserves those that are not limited to vacuuming, but also “wash” the carpet or rug.
If you have one or several rugs, and you intend to vacuum them thoroughly, it is the same as with large homes. Only top-of-the-range models guarantee the results you expect. Unless you are satisfied with vacuuming them superficially, it is worth investing in a good vacuum cleaner.
Which vacuum cleaners are the best for vacuuming delicate floors?
If you have a very delicate floor, I don’t think you want to put it at risk with a cheap vacuum cleaner. You need a vacuum cleaner that “caresses” it while it cleans.
What must be considered?
- Wheels – they are going to slide on the floor, and they must be made of a soft material, such as rubber or silicone that does not scratch the floor, and does not block(!)
- Brush – the best ones are the soft ones (microfiber) that also capture more and better the dust, which is the cause of the loss of shine of the floor.
- Power – it has to be able to suck up the finest dust well, and not just the most visible lint or dirt.
Some vacuum cleaners have a mop function, which can be a good option to finish shining a delicate floor.
As a specialist in hard floors: Tineco Floor One S3: in one pass, it vacuums and scrubs it, even if there is something spilled. The floor finishes brighter and the rooms smell clean.
In short, a vacuum cleaner is a tool, which must be adapted like any other utensil or device to a specific task. Do you use a wrench to nail a nail? If you have any doubts, continue reading the next section.
8. The vacuum cleaner is not good for what you want to use it for
A vacuum cleaner for domestic use is not the same as another for use on patios or outdoors.
There are vacuum cleaners so powerful that they can handle everything. It is a temptation to put them to the test in the most complicated situations. You better not. You could even lose the warranty.
There are specific vacuum cleaners to collect ashes or liquids, just as there are those for use in workshops. If you have a house in the country, even if you do housework, be careful about the type of vacuum cleaner you buy.
What is a domestic vacuum cleaner for?
Vertical, cordless vacuum cleaners, robots, and sled vacuum cleaners are used to vacuum the usual dirt in a house.
This includes carpet and floor dust, hair, lint, food scraps, and even the sand or dirt that your children bring in their shoes when they return from the park. Home vacuum cleaners are designed to move on normal home floors, whether it’s tile, wood, or carpet and rugs. They are not for cobbled floors, or very rough.
Outside these surfaces, they could be damaged, and in the best case, excessive wear of the wheels or the brush.
Are they worth vacuuming everything inside the house?
- For example, if you do construction, you should not use them to collect debris, ashes, or plaster.
- If you have a fireplace, you shouldn’t vacuum up ashes with them either.
- Nor should they be used if the ground is wet, or to collect liquids unless it is a specific model for that purpose.
For those cases, there are more versatile vacuum cleaners, or at least specific for these tasks.
9. The vacuum cleaner is very noisy
Noise can limit the use of the vacuum cleaner to certain hours
If you are very sensitive to noise, it is a factor that can make you rule out some vacuum cleaners. No manufacturer is going to tell you that their vacuum cleaner is very loud. Some models are self-proclaimed silent, and whose noise exceeds 80 dB.
The noise can be a nuisance for your family, and maybe for your pet, (who ends up seeing the vacuum cleaner as a threat that has sneaked into the house) A very noisy vacuum cleaner can disturb the neighbors, and be a problem for coexistence. We are already exposed to enough noise daily to bear it at home.
How to translate the noise of the vacuum cleaner into your life?
Conversation: 60 dB
TV: 70 dB
Washing machine: 80 dB
Noise is not like other quantities, which increase or decrease proportionally.
For example, 2 kilos is twice the weight of 1 kg. However, going from 75 dB to 78 dB of noise doubles the acoustic sensation you perceive. 3 dB more is not a little more noise.
An “acceptable” maximum noise level would be 80 dB. Going over 80 dB is not a problem if it is for specific moments. The bad thing would be vacuuming for 1 hour with that level of noise.
It should be noted whether the noise level of the vacuum cleaner refers to when it works in normal mode, or at maximum power. On many occasions, the manufacturer does not clarify this, and there may be some confusion.
What are the quietest vacuum cleaners?
The higher the quality, the quieter the vacuum cleaner. Any type of vacuum cleaner can be loud or quiet (sled, cordless, robot vacuum cleaner, broom). The best brands of vacuum cleaners have quieter versions in their high ranges. These are models that better dampen motor noise thanks to insulating materials that surround certain parts of the vacuum cleaner.
However, due to their structure, the quietest are usually bagged vacuum cleaners. A bagless vacuum uses the power of cyclones to separate particles from the air and requires a powerful motor. A bagged vacuum cleaner, on the other hand, relies on the bag itself and doesn’t need that powerful cyclone. Robot vacuum cleaners are not usually very noisy. They have the advantage that you can program them to clean when no one is home.
The normal thing is that a cheap vacuum cleaner ends up making a lot of noise over time, especially if it is powerful. The manufacturer may have put in a powerful motor, however, the design of the vacuum cleaner, and the materials, are not the most suitable.
10. The cheat goes up dearly
For a simple filter or a battery, the vacuum cleaner can stop working
If you are a “bargain hunter”, you already know that it is possible to save a good handful of euros when buying a vacuum cleaner. Prices do not stop going up and down, a good offer can always appear.
However, the tactic has its risks. You may end up buying a vacuum cleaner that is going to be more expensive than you think.
Ever since bagless vacuum cleaners came into fashion, it seemed like vacuum cleaner maintenance costs had gone down. However, part of the bag’s job now falls to the filters and cyclone technology. Part of what you save you can end up spending on consumables like filters.
The more basic the vacuum cleaner, the more dirty the filters are going to be, which in any case, must be renewed periodically.
- How much do the filters cost?
- How often does the manufacturer say to change them?
- Are compatible filters easy to find?
The vacuum cleaner battery (cordless models)
The battery of a vacuum cleaner or robot does not last a lifetime. After a while, it loses capacity and allows you to recharge it a certain number of times (charge cycles).
Most are lithium (without memory effect), which does not prevent them from having a certain useful life.
- How much does the replacement battery cost?
- How long does it last?
- Can it be changed easily or do you have to take it to an SAT (Technical Assistance Services)?
- Is there an SAT in your city, or one that is in charge of the arrangement?
Some people buy a cheap vacuum cleaner every year. In the long run, this is a useless expense and a cost that exceeds even that of high-end models. More than a problem of planned obsolescence, it is that the quality is so low that it will be difficult for them to exceed the warranty period.
The problem has been so great that even the EU has had to regulate the matter. The idea is that the vacuum cleaner can be repaired for 10 years from the time of purchase.
Energy efficiency (corded vacuum cleaner)
The European Union certifies which appliances are efficient through an energy label. This label helps you choose an appliance that while achieving performance as efficiently as another (aspires the same), consumes less energy (light).
In this way, in addition to contributing to the conservation of the environment, you achieve savings in the medium term. The energy label can give you a lot of information about the performance of the vacuum cleaner:
- How to vacuum the dust on the carpet
- How does it vacuum on the hard floor
- The level of noise it emits
- Amount of dust that comes out again while the vacuuming process is carried out.
The best vacuum cleaner is not always the best buy
Hardly anyone buys without comparing. When there are two similar models, you try to see which one is more powerful, has a better battery, has more accessories, or has better technology.
There are always brands that offer you more for less. Apparently, for a lower price, they offer you a much better product. This is not always the case. In the long run, they stop working and end up being a bad buy.
Vacuum cleaners have more technology every day. They are no longer simple motor that manages to create a vacuum for it to suck. This makes after-sales service important.
The brand of the vacuum cleaner is important
The brand does not make the vacuum cleaner better. However, it offers you guarantees that are not available to any manufacturer or “white label”.
Some brands specialize in certain types of vacuum cleaners. They may have very good cordless vacuum cleaners, and their robots may not be so good, for example.
What are the best vacuum cleaner brands?
Dyson, with the best iRobot (Roomba) cordless vacuum cleaners, the pioneer of Conga vacuum cleaner robots, the Cecotec
Rowenta vacuum cleaner brand, with all kinds of vacuum cleaners Bissel, Bosch, Nilfisk, AEG, Kärcher, Philips, Taurus, IKOHS, Black&decker, Hoover, Polti, Neato.
Which Chinese brands are the best vacuum cleaners?
Xiaomi, Roidmi, Ecovacs, Tineco, Roborock, Dreame.
Compared to better-known brands, there are endless white brands, with countless clones, that after a few months, not only the model disappears, but also the brand itself. And of course, the vacuum cleaner usually ends up in the trash or stored in a piece of furniture.
You choose: invest in a good vacuum cleaner or buy the cheapest model you find on sale every year. If you do the latter, it will not be profitable for you or the planet.
Buying the best vacuum cleaner is like a puzzle: all the pieces have to fit together
That the vacuum cleaner is powerful, beautiful, and cheap, is ideal. However, the reality is not so simple. After a few weeks (or days), you may find that the vacuum has stopped sucking like it did on the first day. The first thing is to choose the type of vacuum cleaner: robot, cordless, or sled.
The trend, and where you will be able to enjoy the latest in technology, are battery-operated vacuum cleaners (robots and cordless vacuum cleaners): they offer maximum comfort and freedom of movement.
In addition to the type of vacuum cleaner, you should think about yourself as well as your own home. It should not only be adapted to the square meters or the type of floor. You must find it comfortable on a day-to-day basis. Comfort and ease of use start with weight. And that is not the only thing, you have to see how it is emptied, and how is the maintenance and cleaning of the filters.
Pets, carpets, delicate floors, and people who live at home, are factors to take into account, whether it is when vacuuming your dog’s hair, or if you are looking for the parquet floor to recover its shine. The offer is wide and varied. Now it’s your turn: it’s your turn to choose.